Let Battle Commence....

I am on a mission to overcome my fear of baking and transform myself into a fabulous baker. Can I conquer my fear over the next 12 months ? Join me as I set off on a journey of self-raising discovery.


Tuesday 20 December 2011

C is for Christmas and for Cake

This weekend we had the Christmas 'get together' for the pile of relatives we can't fit round the table on Christmas day.  So presents were wrapped and my old ...sorry should I say, "Vintage" fairy was looking as lovely as always.



And this year, much to the amazement of my guests, I baked Cakes!!!

With lots of tips from the brilliant Pink Whisk Blog , I tried my hand at individual, 'mini -ish' Christmas Cakes. Well, as Iceland tell us ....You can party like a celebrity with mini food.  I started with the Delia Smith Christmas cake kit from Waitrose.



Then with the help of the  Paper cup Christmas Cakes Post by Ruth Clemens of the Pink Whisk, I cooked the mixture in paper cups.  Ruth even provided a handy template to use to line the cups.


Let's just say my cake decorating skills are very much in their infancy, I did manage to cover the cakes with marzipan and icing but finished them off with little sugar decorations I bought from John Lewis.  This is cheating a little I know but, there's always next year.....





Decorating skills aside, they tasted gorgeous.

I also made vanilla and chocolate cupcakes for the mini guests (see we're still partying like celebrities).  This meant having another attempt at using a piping bag. Again I have a lot to learn in this this department but who cares, it is a lot of fun !



Finally I made a carrot cake.  This is only my second attempt at making a 'sandwich' type cake. My cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts covered a multitude of sins.



But it seemed to go down very well with my guests.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh look at all those cakes! You have been busy and they look so good ! Hope your 2012 is a better one and good luck with the challenge of conquering cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look lovely and I'm sure you impressed everyone. May 2012 bring you lots of baking success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there,
    We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in http://www.mytaste.com/ . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog and we will make a lot of shout out about your recipes on our fan pages so that people and our 3million users worldwide will be able to check it on our site.
    Mytaste is a dual-function site, a recipe search engine and an online social networking service providing thousands of recipes collected and shared by people around the globe from different blogs and website. This is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive at least 30,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.
    Here where you can add your blog to the top list http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!!The World deserves to know how great a cook you are.

    Kind regards
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete